SAVE THE DRAMA FOR YO MAMA!

:(

Once again the ugly face of drama has begun to surface in the Patriot Band program. For a while, the drama always seemed to be limited to the guard, but it seems to have infiltrated the flute and trombone sections. I hope you all know what I'm talking about. That "woe is me", "I'm the only one who cares", "she said this about me", "he looked at me cross-eyed" attitude that does nothing but cause problems in the organization. The worst is the "I heard that she/he said such and so about me". In the legal world, that's called heresay evidence and is not permissable in court. In the band world, we call it the "telephone game". You know, I say something to you and you say it to the next person, who says it to the next person, etc. and by the time it gets to the end of the chain "Four score and seven years ago" turns into "A bucket of wings and a six-pack to go" (six-pack of rootbeer, that is). Get used to it! It happens in the adult world, too, but there it's called gossip and it hurts just as much whether your 15 or 50. But folks, it's only words and words can't hurt you. Hurt your feelings, yes, but that's it! That's also when you find out who your true friends are. Friends support by lending an ear not a fist. A shoulder on which to cry is better solution then revenge. There's a great line from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" in which one of the townspeople insists that the Jews fight the Russians. As he says "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" (Old Testament - The Bible) Tevye's comeback is "So then we all end up blind and toothless." Think about it and then "save the drama for yo mama".

Talk to me,
I'm Daddy "Back Again" V

No comments:

Post a Comment