PITY PARTY 101

It’s been a disappointing week. When people disappoint me, I take it a little to personally sometimes. I’m constantly searching for perfection in an imperfect world. Occasionally, I even throw myself a “pity party”. You know, one of those “no one cares, why should I” attitudes that do absolutely no good but, hey, even the “King” is human!

I’m a big believer in the mission of the Patriot Band and MusicWorks. I have seen great things come from our students and you know what I am most grateful for – the fact that I have grown as a person due to my association with these organizations. Organization isn’t even the right word – “organization” sounds cold and lifeless. Let me say the people in these organizations – the students and staff that I work, eat, travel, and above all, make music with every year.

On the other hand, I’ve seen people give in to the “dark side” – the endless “pity party”. I think to be successful in what we do, you have to have a work ethic, you need to care, you need to have passion, you need to want to save the world! You need to believe that all of this is real and not hogwash! You need to believe that a few people can change the world or at least your small part of it. You need to laugh at a good joke and cry at a great performance and be sad when a great group of kids moves on! You need to get up in the morning vowing to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. You need to know that we do great things and because of each one of us involved, both students and staff, we will do greater things!

This is not a dream and this is not a dress rehearsal!

We change lives – teacher to student and student to teacher!

It is hard work. It requires sacrifice, but I say, the payment back, if you open yourself to the possibility, is incredible!

THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment