SO YOU WANT TO MAJOR IN MUSIC................................

There has been much interest expressed by Patriot band members in the last couple of years about majoring in music in college. I won't pretend to speak for Mr. Smeltzer or Miss Guise, by I will say that if I had to do it all over again I would still major in music education. I would, however, make sure that I was better prepared before I went to college and understood more about what I was getting into! Its a tough major with no time for a minor! I was fortunate - I went to a small college where there was a lot of individualized attention. In the larger state schools its sometimes either sink or swim! We don't have a great track record for music majors at JCHS. I think that in the last 25 years we've had 3 or 4 kids major in music and actually get through all 4 years! My reason for posting this entry is to let you know that the band staff is anxious to see you succeed in whatever you choose to do, but we are particularly interested in talking with any of you considering a music major. Remember, music does not mean either performance or teaching. There are many career opportunities in music such as church music, music therapy, music business, and the list goes on! We've made great strides in the area of music theory training with the new theory class and computer lab at JCHS. Arts Place will be offering a follow-up class this Spring entitled "Music Major Boot Camp". This course will introduce students to music history and continue working on ear training, as well as discussions concerning auditions, applications, scholarships, and other things which need to be considered. (Incidentally, the course will be taught by Emilie Boyes - who better than someone fresh out of the music major arena)

Again, please consider your band staff to be a source of information concerning music major preparation. We really want you to succeed!

Talk to Me! As always, I'm your...

Daddy V

No comments:

Post a Comment